Do you find SEO a bit complicated and are you confused about certain terms. Don’t you worry, I am here to simplify the complicated terms and give you the simplest and the most effective way to do SEO. This post contains the essential guide to understand what is SEO and how it works. How to rank your website with the help of organic SEO. SEO is not easy to master but you can always keep on learning and once you master the basics, you will start getting the hang of it. Let’s get started!
What you will read in this post:
What is SEO and how it works| Easy way to understand the complicated terms :Do you know 2 million blog posts are published every day? How will you make your website stand out? Click To Tweet
When someone googles to know some information that is related to your niche, you want your website to rank on the first page of google right?
We do this with the help of SEO.
Before I go on about explaining SEO, I want you to understand why SEO is such a big deal and why it is so much important for your website.
- Do you want to increase your chances of being found on the google?
- Do you want to increase your visibility in the search engines?
- Do you want more users on your website? There are well-established sites that are already ranking on the top, how will you make a place for your website?
- How will you bring potential traffic to your website? How will you plan the long-term success of your website?
You can promote your business on social media but with the help of SEO, you will generate organic traffic to your website and the visitors who genuinely need help, searching for the particular topic in the search engines are more likely to convert into potential customers. Don’t you want this kind of traffic?
If yes, then you must do SEO of your website! Now let’s talk about:
What is SEO? Define Search Engine Optimization and how it works
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the practice of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic (users) to your website through organic (natural) search engine results.
In other words..
SEO is the process of optimizing your content to bring it on the first page of google.
but wait.. what is this search engine?
Search Engine is an internet-based tool that searches an index of documents for a particular text/phrase searched by a user.
Google is a search engine
How does the Search Engine work?
Search engines use software programs and they are called crawlers, bots, spiders) that crawl the web.
Do you know that there are 3 stages, the search engine goes through.
- Crawling: The search engine navigates from site to site and it gets the complete information (content) of those sites.
- Indexing: It is the process of taking all the data that has been crawled and place it in a big database. For example, you are looking for all the data for some topic, the searching part is called crawling and making the list and pinning it down the useful information is called indexing.
- Retrieve Information: The most important step where the search engine displays the most relevant documents it finds that matches the query of the user and the information that is most relevant to the user.
What is Query and Keyword in SEO?
A query is related to user and keyword is related to the marketer.
In this example:
Blue shoes is the target keyword and “navy blue sneakers men’s / blue shoes formal / sky blue shoes for men) are the queries.
How does user behavior affect SEO?
Understand your user behavior because it has a huge influence on your ranking in the google. There are two factors that decide the user behavior:
CTR: Click-through rate is the ratio between the number of click on a link to the total number of visitors who visited the search engine results page.
The average CTR of the first position on google is 34%
- Bounce Rate: It is the percentage of visitors to a particular website who navigate away from the site after viewing only one page.
Let’s talk about the most important topic that is discussed all over in the digital marketing world.
How to do SEO to rank your website on the top in the search engines.
The success of SEO depends majorly on keyword research!
FIND OUT WHAT PEOPLE ARE SEARCHING FOR
Figure out what they are typing in the search engines, what is their query!
How to figure out what is their query?
There are databases stored and many helpful tools to find out the suitable keywords and the best tool is GOOGLE keyword planner tool.
Is it legal?
Yes it is. We can know what people are looking for and not their personal identity.
HOW TO SELECT A KEYWORD? ( How to decide what to write about)
You will use the google trends tool to check out what’s the trending topic or you might like to write on a particular topic, all you have to do is open the Google planner tool and check the volume and the competition. If the keyword has high competition and high volume, you should avoid it because it will take longer to rank on the first page of google. You should choose the keyword that has the highest volume but low competition. That’s your relevant target keyword. This tool also displays the other relevant keywords that you can write about.
FIND OUT YOUR COMPETITION: Now that you know what people are looking for in your niche (industry), next step is to check out which websites are writing for that particular keyword. Your next task is to beat them in every aspect like more useful content, design and many other factors.
Oh what a relief. My website is perfectly designed and I did the perfect keyword research and my content is awesome. Now my website will rank on the top in Google.
Your job is not done yet. You need recommendations by others for your work.
POWERFUL LINKS: You need links from the other websites because if your website is recommended already by well-established websites, you get brownie points because it generates trust and Google will trust your website and your rankings will be improved.
There are two ways of doing the SEO and we call them ” types of SEO.” Let’s talk about them.
Types of SEO | Ways of doing SEO to improve the ranking of the website:
There are two ways of doing SEOOn page SEO: It involves internal factors like online content, website design, website page structure to enhance the traffic. It is under our control. Click To Tweet
All the things that you can do on your website to help you rank higher.Off-page SEO: It involves external factors and relies on other web pages to improve the ranking of the website. All the things that you do on your website to rank higher. Click To Tweet
Difference on page and off page: infographic
Types of ON PAGE SEO:
- Page Title: Each blog post needs to have a unique title which includes the main keywords for that page/post.
- Meta Description: It is used to summarize the content of the web page. These are used in the search results to let the users know what the content is about. It must not be more than 160 characters.
Let me give you an example:
Look at this image
When I searched for the best mobile phones in India, Google displayed the following results:
Here the page title is : Best upcoming mobiles under Rs20,000 in India
Meta Description is: ( List of upcoming…..available)
- Meta tags: These are HTML elements that provide information about the webpage to the search engine.The elements are
1: Title Tag (the title of the page) Most highlighted
2.Meta description ( sneak peek of the web page’s content)
3.Meta keywords ( no longer useful)
- URL structure: You must make a search friendly URL and include all the targeted keywords in the URL to rank it better.
It should have these qualities: SHORT, EASY TO READ, USE HYPHEN NOT UNDERSCORE, LOWERCASE LETTERS etc.
- Keyword Density: Include the relevant keywords and the related keywords of the targeted keywords in your content. Don’t overuse this technique, 2-5% density is enough.
- Image Optimization: You must always optimize your images. Give the title, aLt text, and the description.
- Internal Linking: These links are posted within your posts which redirects people to other relevant pages of your websites, thus keeping the users engaged and decrease the bounce rate. You don’t want to lose your user and you want them to stay longer on your site. With the use of internal links, you keep the user engaged so that they spend more time on your website.
- Body Tags: You need to make keyword rich headlines, where you break the content into small paras to make it easier for people to read.
Some of the BEST ON-PAGE TECHNIQUES that I use to improve the ranking of my website are:
- Include target keywords in your blog.
- Use LSI keywords. : Latent Semantic Indexing keywords are the keywords that are related to your primary keyword.
- Publish long content. Yes, Google loves long and useful content.
- Include numbers, years, brackets in the TITLE to gain the attention.
- Optimize the speed of your website: Google gives importance to the fast loading websites. IMprove the speed of your website.
- Bounce Rate: It should be low because high bounce rate means poor user experience. You don’t want your user to jump off your website quickly. Improve the bounce rate.
- Use multimedia in your content: Visuals are more appealing. Tell your stories through images and videos. Infographics are trending and are quite an attractive way to engage the users.
- Security protocols: Google is giving importance to the security factor and is now considered as an important ranking factor.
- Publish evergreen content: Write about the topic that is interesting even after years. SEO is a forever thing in the digital marketing and will never die. Write about those topics that are forever useful.
- Increase the click-through rate by making the catchy headlines.
- Make emotional titles that trigger people.
- Pinging: It helps the search engine and notifies them about the newly updated content. Go to the Writing ( Setting option in the WordPress) and add all these pinging websites.
- Update your old posts and add some fresh content. Google like the websites who update the content regularly.
- Keyword placement: Put the keywords in the first paragraph of your post and in the headlines. Proper keyword placement is very important.
- Reading level should be easy and not difficult for the users to understand.
- Use bullets and numbers.
- Use short paragraphs for easy understanding and readability.
- Make a contact us page.
- Focus on the site architecture.
- Google gives importance to youtube videos. Make some videos.
- User reviews also play an important role in the rankings.
- Proper use of anchor texts.
- Use social media plugins to make your content shareable.
Avoid the following activities to avoid the penalties and low rankings.
- Panda Penalty
- Ads above the folds.
- Hiding the affiliate links.
- Meta Tag spamming
Let me explain to you how to do OFF-PAGE SEO
Let’s suppose you have been working in some company for a good amount of time, it automatically builds a trust factor and if there is a new position opening and if you recommend someone to your boss, your suggestion will be valued. Similarly, there are great websites and if they give recommendations to any new website, the ranking of that particular new website will be improved. These are called links. Let’s see how to get valuable links from these websites. There are many ways but:
These are the most effective off-page techniques:
- Blog commenting: If you write a blog post, just after publishing it, you can start commenting on the other websites to build your presence. You must comment on the right sites ( the ones who talk about the same nice and the same topic that you have written about)
There are two ways to do it:
Install the plugin Commentluv and go to google and type your keyword + commentluv. It will display the websites that allow blog commenting.
You can go to this website and search for these websites: Dropmylink.com
- Guest Posting: You can start guest posting on the websites that have great DR and PR. You need to pitch them in a way that it does not look pushy and you genuinely want to help them out. If you are great at something, write an article of at least 2000 words and ask them. Use good images, infographics, videos etc. Make it informative and add something that is highly useful.
- Directory submission: You submit the URL link of your website to these high rated blog directories and you will get great backlinks really fast.
- Article Submission: There are really good article submission websites. You need to submit articles to these websites in order to get the backlinks. Make sure that you submit original content to each of the websites and get the links to the original article that you have published on your website.
- Forum Commenting: You can also comment on the forums to get the valuable links.
These are the most common and effective off-page techniques that you can work on to get the valuable backlinks. Quality is more important than quality when it comes to backlinks.
I hope now you are clear about what is SEO and how it works.
Seo is not complicated. You need to remember few things and do your homework everytime you publish a new post. It takes time initially but as you keep doing this, you will eventually start taking less time and it becomes really easy. If you still have doubts, ask us anything in the comments section below and we will always get back to you.
DIGITAL MARKETING is booming at a rapid speed and if you are doubting even a bit, just read these FAQs about digital marketing and you will get all your answers.
Are you dreaming to become an SEO expert? Well, dreams are meant to come true and we will guide you exactly how! Book your free demo class and decide for yourself.